What Is Senior Independent Living?
At its core, senior independent living simply designates a housing arrangement exclusively for older adults who can live on their own with little or no assistance. But not all senior independent living is the same. Here’s what you need to know about this retirement living option.
Active Adult/55+ Communities
These age-restricted communities are only for independent seniors over age 55. Most are designed to give you a retirement-friendly, low- or no-maintenance lifestyle.
The housing options vary, from single-family dwellings to condos, duplexes, townhomes or apartments. Most often the homes are owned by residents, though some may offer rental contracts. Residents are responsible for interior maintenance and upkeep, but monthly dues cover exterior maintenance and yardwork.
Active adult communities typically don’t have on-site dining rooms. The monthly dues may cover access to certain amenities, such as a pool, clubhouse or golf course. These independent living communities don’t provide health care services. If you need help with activities of daily living or require memory care, you’ll either need to pay to bring in outside services or move to a facility that provides such care.
Senior Independent Living as Part of a Continuum
In a community like this, you can move in as an independent senior knowing that you’ll have priority access to other levels of care – on-site – if they’re ever needed. Here’s what you can expect.
Services and Amenities
A predictable monthly service fee covers a host of services, such as:
- Flat linen laundry service
- Dining plans
- 24/7 security
You’ll also have access to convenient on-site amenities, making it easy to do what you like. For example, at Aberdeen Ridge, you’ll be able to enjoy:
- Heated indoor pool
- Fitness center
- Coffee shop/bistro
- Creative arts center
- Library/resource center
- Chapel and multipurpose room
- Beauty salon/barbershop
- Underground parking
As an independent living resident, you can craft your day to your liking – and you’ll have a lot of opportunities to do so, right at your fingertips. From planned social activities and casual get-togethers to classes, trips, discussion groups and more, the community makes it easy for you to stay as active as you like.
At Aberdeen Ridge, we call that Peak Living. We’re putting together opportunities for you to enrich your life in engaging and meaningful ways through seven core series:
- The International Series – exploring other cultures through food, music and presentations
- The Cultural Arts & Humanities Series – discovering artists, musicians, performers and new perspectives, as well as your own creativity
- The Sporting Series – celebrating local and national athletic events
- The Entertainment Series – enjoying great performances on stage and screen, and in discussion groups
- The Culinary Series – learning more about what you eat through tastings, demos and dining trips
- The Health & Wellness Series – integrating physical, social, spiritual, intellectual, creative, and service to improve your health and happiness.
- The Colorful Colorado Series – appreciating the history, culture and beauty of our wonderful state.
Access to health care
No one can predict the future – but you can plan for it. As an independent living resident at Aberdeen Ridge, you’ll have a plan that offers you assisted living and memory care if you ever need it, at significantly discounted costs compared to stand-alone providers outside your home. It’s peace of mind for you and the whole family.
If you’re interested in having an active retirement that gives you more freedom and more opportunities, senior independent living is an option to seriously consider. Learn more about how independent living at Aberdeen Ridge can help you live the way you want.